Tofu & Squash Curry – Ayurvedic Recipe
This delicious tofu and squash curry is very simple to make.
You can use a wok or a frying pan to cook and combine the squash, tofu and greens.
The skin of the squash is moist and tender when cooked, so there is no need to peel the squash itself, which will helps save time preparing and cooking this recipe.
This curry is excellent served with millet, quinoa, or basmati rice (white or brown).
This is an excellent recipe for bringing in the earth element and grounding.
The combination of these foods and spices balances all doshas and contains all six tastes.
Although this dish is excellent for all doshas, it may slightly increase Kapha due to its heaviness. To prevent increasing Kapha add more garlic and chillies.
Prep time: 10 min Active cooking time: 22 min Total time to make: 32 min.
Serves: 4 – 6
- 500 grams or 1 pound of organic firm tofu (Cut into small ½ inch cubes)
- 4 tablespoons of ghee
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder or 1 teaspoon of fresh grated turmeric
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium to large squash (about 1 pound), halved, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of fresh grated ginger
- 1 clove of chopped garlic
- 1 green chilli pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cups of coarsely chopped kale or chard, remove tough stems (optional but ads an additional bitter and astringent taste).
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Preparation & Cooking Procedure
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a wok or frying pan on medium to high heat and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, salt and asafoetida. Stir until the seeds pop.
- Add the garlic, chilli, onion, black pepper, ginger and turmeric. Cook until the onions are brown.
- Add the cut pieces of tofu and gently sauté in the mixture for 5-6 minutes and then transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee on medium to high heat in the same wok or pan. Cook and stir until the squash is lightly browned, around 4 to 5 minutes. Add the water, bring to a boil and continue to cook for another 2 minutes or so.
- Add the kale or chard and cook, stirring until it is slightly wilted (about 1 minute). Return the tofu to the pan and cover and cook until the squash and greens are tender.
- Remove from heat, stir in the lime juice and let the dish sit for awhile (about 3 minutes) until the tofu and vegetables absorb the spices. Serve warm.