Ayurvedic Recipe – Indian Cashew Nut Soup
Soups are a great way to get all your essential nutrients, spices and tastes as part of your Ayurvedic diet.
The following Ayurvedic recipe below is a delicious soup and a complete meal in itself.
This ayurvedic recipe is one I decided to experiment with – using certain ingredients that are common in Ayurveda.
This particular recipe is extremely tasty as it includes all the 6 tastes and makes for a yummy and balanced meal.
For a more sattvic or balancing recipe, omit the onions and the cayenne spice as they may aggravate Vata and Pitta dosha.
Feel free to have this soup with a side of rice or some roti or chapatis.
Enjoy this one!
3/4 cup cashew nut butter
2 tbsp maple syrup
4 cups boiling water
1 Tbsp sesame tahini
2 tbsp sesame oil (use ghee as an alternative)
2 cups minced onion (optional)
1 tsp salt (use less, if nut-butter is salted)
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp grated fresh turmeric or 2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cayenne (optional)
2 cups buttermilk, room temperature (use coconut milk as a substitute for dairy)
Juice from ½ of a lemon
¼ cup of cilantro
*Use fresh organic ingredients if possible.
Prep time: 10 min Active cooking time: 35 min Total time to make: 35 min
Serves: 6 to 8 people
Preparation & Cooking Procedure:
1. Place the cashew butter, sesame tahini and maple syrup in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Add about half the boiling water, and mash with a spoon until it becomes smooth. Whisk in the remaining hot water and set aside.
3. Heat or warm the sesame seed oil or ghee in a soup pot.
4. Add the onion, salt, turmeric and ginger. Saute over low heat for about 10 minutes, then add the spices.
5. Continue to cook and stir for another 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the cashew butter mixture, add the butter milk and cover. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Add the lemon juice and then garnish with cilantro