Ayurveda Oil pulling-Gandusha
Keeping the oil in the mouth strengthens the jaws and voice, development of the face, maximum taste and relish of food. One does not suffer from dryness of throat, lip cracking and the teeth become firmly rooted. The teeth do not ache or become sensitive and can chew the hardest food items.
Oil pulling is a simple practice that can have numerous benefits. Many people have heard of it, but have never actually practiced it to see the positive effects it can have on the body.
Personally I have used it to get rid of sinus infections, colds and other conditions. But it is most commonly used as part of Dinacharaya – daily routine for healthy living.
It is most often done using sesame oil but some like to use other various oils such as coconut oil and sunflower oil which can be used to treat certain conditions and reduce excess of certain doshas.
Before selecting the best oil to use for Gandusha, it is best to consult with an Ayurvedic practitioner because different oils will work best for different people, according to their constitution.
How does Oil pulling work?
When you put the oil in your mouth and swish it around your teeth and gums it pulls out bacteria and other debris. Our mouths are the home to millions of parasites, bacteria, viruses, fungi and other toxins.
Things such as Candida and Streptococcus can be eliminated as these types of germs and their toxic waste can cause gum disease and tooth decay which can also contribute to many other health problems such as arthritis and heart disease.
Oil pulling assists our immune system is constantly fighting these toxins and there have been several studies showing the results.
Benefits of oil pulling:
• Brighter & whiter teeth
• Healthier gums
• Removes mucus from the mouth and tongue
• Boosts the immune system
• Prevents bad breath
• Increases energy
• Helps one to develop a clearer mind
• Decreases headaches
• Clears the sinuses
• Helps to alleviating allergies
• Makes one skin more clear
• Helps to decrease inflammation
• Helps to improve the lymphatic system
• Helps to improve PMS symptoms
How to oil pull:
Oil pulling should be done first thing in the morning, before brushing your teeth, eating or drinking.
1. Take 1 TBSP of sesame oil. Put the oil in your mouth, and slowly swish, suck, and pull the oil through your teeth. Do this for at least 10 – 20 minutes.
2. Spit the oil out. The oil should be a thin, white foam when you finally spit it out. You will find that when you spit it out, that there is much more liquid coming out as you put in. This is due to the pulling effect on the saliva. The saliva is made up of Rasa Dhatu. In Ayurveda this is the plasma – the liquid portion of the blood, blood plasma, and lymph system. As a result, it supports the cleansing of the blood and the lymphatic.
3. Rinse your mouth out well with water. Do not gargle and do not swallow the oil as it may now contain parasites and bacteria. You can also gargle and rinse your mouth with water mixed with a TSP of baking soda to keep the terrain of your moth cleaner and more alkaline.
4. Follow by drinking 2 – 3 glasses of water either warm or at room temperature.